The secret to a successful cheat day (Volume #1)Deep-fried French toast

     I did my research and apparently the secret to a successful Blog is to post weekly articles and daily posts. So I'm trying to get my routine down to see what works best for me, so please be patient I promise it will be worth it as I work through the kinks. Here is what I have so far, weekly secret's to what I consider a way of life, and weekly installments for cheating the system(don't let "the man" keep you down!) So I get a cup of coffee I come to my office and crank the itunes and get cracking.

     What is a cheat day? i'm no bodybuilder, I could be a model but I don't have time for the paparazzi! In my opinion a cheat day would be doing your best to maintain a sound diet and healthy lifestyle 6 days a week and being a normal person once a week or so(technically you could call it a cheat week with a normal day). Life is so busy and most days including weekends are so hard to have a routine, plus if anyone out there is like me my career vary's from having a 5 day weekly office job to being out in the field for up to two weeks. I'll talk more about my eating habits on Monday, so stay tuned!
  
     You see, my biggest problem is that I fantasize about food all day. God intended me to cook but right now he has me on a path in another direction. So like any good obsession I think about it all the time! Well all week I thought about how I would treat myself over the weekend. I don't consider going out a reward for eating healthy. I can make a cheat meal that stomps any restaurant into the ground, why? Creativity! I enjoy the thrill of coming up with new recipes and I have a terrible habit of never, ever writing them down. If I had a restaurant it would solely based off of what I felt like cooking that day. Anyways, on to the good stuff. This morning I had deep-fried French toast with pumpkin spiced cream cheese icing....it was excellent! Here is how you make it:
  
     I prefer sourdough bread for my French Toast(thanks Mom) but your favorite bread will be just fine i'm sure. I prefer sourdough because it allows you to soak the bread in the "batter" and it still keeps it's thickness and doesn't fall apart. So I sliced my own loaf and soaked it in 6 eggs, 1 tablespoon vanilla, a dash of cinnamon and about 1/3 parts milk scrambled. Now here is the key, I blend(with a blender, duh!) my eggs anytime I scramble them and it works way better at creating a smooth consistency. If you like regular French toast stop there and allow your bread to soak for a few minutes and then cook it on the grill with a little unsalted butter. If you want to step-up your French toast "game" here is how to do it. Take PANKO bread crumbs(the only bread crumbs I use) and mix half a bag with some brown sugar and cinnamon till it makes like a fried chicken type mix. Take your soaked French toast and put in the mix, flip it and cover both sides with the Panko mix. Grill it in a generous "helping" of butter till it's like a caramelized brownish color. Then let it sit in the oven on low heat while you cook the rest to finish off the toast. I prefer mine with icing, but thats just me. Below is my cream cheese icing recipe.

Ingredients:
1 loaf of sourdough bread
6-8 eggs blended
1 box of Panko style bread crumb
2 sticks butter(unsalted)
1 tbsp brown sugar
1/tbsp Pampered Chef cinnamon sprinkles
1/2 tbsp Pampered Chef caramel sprinkles


     Remember cheat day's are exactly that, cheating, but I only consider it treating myself to a well deserved meal of complete ecstasy, I call it a cheat day for a different reason. My secret to a successful "cheat" day is to cheat myself all week by not allowing myself to indulge in life's unhealthy food pleasures until Saturday morning! Now Enjoy!

Cream cheese frosting: 20 min
2 - 8 oz 1/3 less fat cream cheese
1 -  full stick of butter, 1/2 melted - 1/2 softened
1 - and 1/2 cups sifted powdered sugar
2ish tablespoons honey
1  -table spoon vanilla
dashes of salt, pumpkin spice, brown sugar, cinnamon

I use a mixer to get the cream cheese and 1/2 butter stick mixing. As it mixes I slowly add the melted butter, then I spoon the powdered sugar in as it mixes till it's gone. After it's well mixed I add the honey, mix again, then at the end I add all the spices. I like to mix my frosting on HIGH at the end until it get's all fluffy.


  
"so is my word that goes out from my mouth: It will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it." Isaiah 55:11

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Secret to a Successful Cheat Day(Volume # 4) Good ole fashioned Donuts

A little Humble pie anyone???