B.Y.O.G.

     We don't typically think of ourselves as guilty. Yes we make look down on our selves or get disappointed but, not guilty. Especially in this Christian life, and church is about the last place we would feel it. We bring our pride and boast in our so called "good deeds." We bring our volunteer work and our charities and our internal bragging of being better than the others around us. But we never bring our guilt with us. It's almost like we (or I) leave in a box somewhere, packed away in a place that I don't want to see it popping it's ugly little head out. Guilt is dirty, it's shameful and rotten. It brings us down to a place we don't often like to be. Guilt is something we can't stand to admit or bear the burden of because it just makes us feel, I don't know, like crap! But the truth is that we are all guilty. All of us just waiting for our time and the judgement that awaits us. But wait!!!! There is hope...

      Our church is putting on an event called Journey to the Cross. It's a hands on and in depth look at the last few days of the life of Jesus. Is made up of different stations and each one walks you through a different event. The one part that really pulled my heart strings and made me step back for a moment and realize my own depravity was the actually cross. I walked through several areas before with my hands bound together with a rope. And it wasn't necessarily the cross, which I've seen thousands in my lifetime, that took me back as much as the phrase on the card in front of me read 

"Now take of your rope of guilt and leave it at the cross." 

Wow!  Blown away!

     That is such a profound statement! I mean how blessed are we to be able to stand behind such a claim. We are born into guilty and spend our lives in depravity and because Jesus took our punishment we are able to lay down all our guilt and shame at the foot of the cross. The best part is, the price has been paid.

     This is not just metaphor, this is truth and Jesus is that truth. Because he laid down his life we are able to live in perfect union with God, pronounced not guilty the moment we lay it all down at his feet. Forgiven for our transgressions and given new life bought by the blood of the spotless lamb. It gives me chills up my spine to think of how great of a gift that truly is. I can bring all my own deeds, and all my own gifts, and all my own pride but none of that means anything to God; but it's only when I bring my own guilt to his feet that I am considered holy in his sight. Covered by the grace of God through his son Jesus!

I stopped writing awhile back because I just figured no one was reading it so why bother. But a friend of mine said to me after I told him this that is wasn't true, and I never know who is reading. God works through these people like this. Thank you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Secret to a Successful Cheat Day(Volume # 4) Good ole fashioned Donuts

A little Humble pie anyone???